The Whetstone area has been a scenic recreation area since the late 1800's. Throught the efforts of New York State Assemblyman, Clarence Lyon Fisher, $25,000 was appropriated to purchase "Whetstone Gulft" for use as a State Park. Improvements were made by the Conservation Department and the Federal CCC program after the land was purchased. The planting of red pine trees, which can be seen throughout the park today, was part of the improvement. Red Pine and Norway Spruce were chosen for its rapid growth rate.
The park was dedicated to Conservation Department Forest Ranger William H. McCarthy for his dedication to forest and wildlife conservation form 1931 to 1941. The park was developed further after WW II. Campsites, a swimming beach and a bridge to the a new picnic area were constructed. The park was transferred to the Thousand Island State park region in 1968.
Whetstone Gulf is a beautiful park built in and around a three mile long gorge cut in the eastern edge of the Tug Hill plateau. The gorge is one of the most spectacular scenic vistas east of the Rocky Mountains and is the main reason for the park's location. The park is composed of over 2,400 acres, most of which are undeveloped. Whetstone Gulf State Park has over 60 spacious wooded campsites, a senic picnic area along Whetstone Creek, a man-made swimming area with water supplied by Whetstone Creek and various trails, one of which circles the gorge. The park also has a 500 acre reservoir above the gorge that was developed for flood control form the creek and to provide recreation fishing and canoeing. The reservoir is stocked with tiger muskies and large mouth bass.
Whetstone Gulf offers trails for all ages and levels, from Novice thur Intermediate to Expert (click for pdf map).
A Carry In -- Carry Out Park