Whether you enjoy paddling solo in a kayak, or with a group in a canoe or boat, you’ll find multiple waterways throughout Lewis County. Enjoy calm rivers or raging rapids, lakes or ponds, all with breathtaking scenery. Below are a few routes we recommend:
- Beaver River Canoe Route
- Black River Canoe Trail
- Bonaparte’s Cave State Forest
- Croghan to Harrisville State Lands
- Stillwater Reservoir
Lake Bonaparte, Chase Lake, Brantingham Lake and Beaver Lake are perfect for all of your favorite water sports, including swimming, waterskiing, sailing, kayaking, and canoeing. State, local, and private boat launch sites provide access to all water sports.
Looking for adventure? The following whitewater locations are focused on the experienced whitewater kayaker:
- Mill Creek - West Lowville to Lowville Class V - 4 miles
- Oswegatchie River - West Branch (Bisha Falls to Jerden Falls) Class V+ - 7 miles
- Negro Brook (Boshart Road to East Road) Class IV-V+ - 1 mile
- Deer River (New Boston to High Falls Dam) Class II-III - 12.4 miles
- Independence River (Bradish Road to Old Pine Grove Road) Class II-V+ - 2.6 miles
- Beaver River (Taylorville Section) Class III-IV - 2 miles
- Indian River (Natural Bridge to Antwerp) Class II - 20 miles
- Otter Creek (Partridgeville Road to Pine Grove Road) Class III-V - 10.4 miles
- Moose River (Fowlersville to Lyons Falls) Class V - 5 miles
For the canoeist, there is the swiftly flowing waters of the Moose River through a wild remote area, or the smooth and quiet waters of the Black River and Beaver River. There are also a number of small lakes and ponds where wildlife abounds and the fish bite. If you are visiting in the beginning of August, come and join all the fun at the annual Riverfest on the first Saturday of August along the quiet waters of the historic Black River.
And for those anxiously waiting for winter to arrive, there are many ice skating options, as well as the annual snowmobile watercross races in Martinsburg that attract thousands of snowmobiliers. Watercross is a summer event where they ride snowmobiles on open water!